Monday, June 14, 2010

The Summer I Lost My Mind - Essay Excerpt



"You have a specific smell."

"What? A bad one?" I asked.

"No, it's not bad."

"What does it smell like?"

"Just you. Your smell. I could be anywhere in the world, anytime, and I would know it's your smell. I'll never forget it. It just smells like you."

And then it hit me. Maybe all the men were just temporary, acting as in-betweeners, filling space. But we would mean something to each other. Our encounters would not be wholly casual, devoid of human feeling. We would leave a lasting impression on each other, however tiny. For better or for worse, we would remain somehow embedded in each other's consciousness; in a smell, in a movement, in a look. Nothing ever meant nothing to anyone.

The next morning, we walked all around the city, and then after he bought me two McDonald's soft-serves, he left me on a street corner in the middle of Toronto. We kissed, and the finality of it all surprised me.

I walked back to my condo. It was far, it took me over two hours. I remember thinking the whole way home, but I wasn't sure about what. Random thoughts just floated in and out of my head, strange voices I owned argued about if I'd done the right or wrong thing. 

I was restless. I decided I couldn't just go home. I walked into my best male friend Ben's place of work, which was a cafe around the corner. 

"Guess who doesn't learn from their mistakes?" 

Ben looked up.  It was a question worth asking. I was still drunk and apparently, I looked like an insane homeless person.

"You, dummy."

And then we both keeled over, laughing like hyenas.

I haven't seen or spoke to Scott since.




Later that night was Alice's birthday. 

It was swelteringly hot. I spent the remainder of the day showering Scott off my skin, and trying to sleep my hangover away.  Neither worked.

As I got on the streetcar to Alice's I remember feeling different than I ever had before. I wondered if changes happened slowly but then one day stop, having become complete. I thought that maybe that day was the day where there was no going back. As I walked up her steps, I was pretty sure the change had been absolute; that I had lost my mind for good.

I remember the party being fun. But everything was fun all the time, so it felt uneventful. Fun had become the background for the anxious ticker-tape that was always going in my mind. I decided that routine, no matter how unusual it was, always felt routine. I couldn’t escape monotony.

When you kill time it dies hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment