Monday, June 14, 2010

Hero - Essay Excerpt

The excerpts, divided by pictures, are from two different parts of an essay and don't appear consecutively.



There has always been something otherworldly about him. And so, I believe from the moment he was conscious of other people he has felt like an outsider.  He could not speak until he was three - which worried my parents, but when he did start talking he spoke in paragraphs. From then on he has had a special closeness to words, often acting as his protector, his escape from other people.
 
As Michael grew older, he would need the escape and protection that words provided him, living in his imagination, crowded by beautiful words.




The focus, and the ability to know the truth of your talents, to determination to withstand the rejection without being defeated is something I envy. So many times, I have watched Michael, jealously wanting to be as confident as he is in his vision of himself. I admire him, not only for his talent, but for the clarity, so greatly. I curse myself, and tell myself that I should be more like he is. 

I don't know if I'll ever be like Michael is, though. I have not had to withstand the trials he did. I've never been pushed to the brink and come out the other end. I don't know if I'd have the super-human strength. But that's why he is my hero. We are so different, his bravery and courage is so unlike my own that I know I'll never possess it. A hero, in my opinion, is meant to have some parts of themselves that are unreachable to you. Michael, in my eyes, is only part mortal. He’s mythical.

So, I'll go to him for advice. I'll look up to him. He'll be my shoulder to cry on. He'll cheer me on. For the rest of our lives, he'll  be the dark horse that won the race, while I remain the mortal, always trying to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment