Monday, June 14, 2010

Crisis of Faith - Personal Essay Excerpt





But the whole thing wasn't black and white. It wasn't that he was a believer and that I wasn't. I did believe. I believed in a lot of things that didn't make an logical sense.

I believed that people were good, almost always. I believed in angels. I believed that something more than me was guiding my life. I believed in signs. I believed that there was order in the universe and that everything happened for a reason. I believed there were always opportunities to grow. I  believed that life was good. I believed in karma. I believed in love. I believed that the world existed in our skull, between our temples. I believed in people who tried. I believed that nine times out of then things were abstract, not linear. I believed there were saints everywhere you looked. I believed very little was simple. I believed people are ultimately more the same than different.

So then was Glenn's belief in Christ and his disciples really, at it's core, any different than me choosing to believe in things that weren't ultimately tangible? Isn't the definition of faith belief in something for which you have no proof? 

No comments:

Post a Comment