Monday, May 16, 2011

Like Father Part Six



"I got out because it got too serious. Well, too serious for me."

"Did journalism change?"

"That's it right there. There were journalists and not newspapermen."

He sips his coffee. Today is special and so I share his bran loaf with him. He puts his head in his hand, leans in his chair and slumps like my nephew at the dinner table. Age spins through my father and at this moment, he looks four.

"I always believed that if you took your talent seriously, you could play with everything else. As long I never betrayed writing, then it wouldn't betray me. I took care of it. I took great joy in making everything as perfect as I could. Your talent is your life raft, it's your escape. You pay reverence to it. You don't turn your back on it. It was always the only thing I cared about. I was very serious with it. Very stupid with everything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment