Saturday, December 4, 2010

In Love, Not Limbo

“A story has no beginning or end; arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.”



It all started with a wrong number, a phone call ringing three times in the dead of night, a voice on the other end of the phone asking for someone she was not.

Well, more or less.

So far as she could remember things had always started and ended over the phone. Things are too black and white without sight. It was so easy to lie when you didn't have to look at the person. All she had ever trusted, her entire life, were the nuances of someone's face.

...

"The weird thing is, the last night I slept with him, I slept so soundly. I can never sleep in a bed with anyone else. But that night, I slept without moving. I wasn't...I wondered if that meant something."

"I can't remember sleeping soundly with someone."

She knew then that neither of them thought they would ever fall in love. The danger was, what they couldn't see, is that they would fall in love again, then again, and probably, again.

"Remember that night in Montreal? We danced on the bar? You broke Ben's toe? We requested 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'? Remember those things?"

"Remember when things didn't matter?"

No comments:

Post a Comment