Friday, October 22, 2010

Synecdoche



"a figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole (as fifty sail for fifty ships), the whole for a part (as society for high society), the species for the genus (as cutthroat for assassin), the genus for the species (as a creature for a man), or the name of the material for the thing made (as boards for stage)"

...

Pink turned grey outside. I felt the polyester against my skin. It wasn’t comfortable but I couldn’t picture ever moving.

“Do you think if something was true once, it stays true forever? Like, it never goes away?”

“That’s how you know something’s true. You see it everywhere.”

“Like reflected in everything?”

“Yeah. You can see everything through it.”

Then, later.

“Time doesn’t exist, not how we’re told it does.”

“Yeah, even this, with us. It didn’t start years ago and end -”

“Tomorrow, whenever.”

“Right. It all happened at once. Its all happening, still. And that’s why that movie was so brilliant. That is exactly what time is like, you feel years ago as if it was yesterday.”

“I know, it feels that visceral. The one part that stuck with me was -”

“The end is in the beginning?”

“No, but...actually, yes.”

You realize that no one’s watching and that no one ever was.

"Do you want these potatoes?"

Later, still.

I could hear wind but from the wrong side of the room, where the wall was paved.

“Do you hear the wind? From over there?”

“Not from the window?”

“Yeah.”

“No. But I have before.”

The world tilted sideways. An arm grew out of my chest and reached across the mattress.

“Did you think you’d be like this at your age?”

“I really never thought this far ahead.”

No comments:

Post a Comment