Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Toronto Star Article Excerpt



Yorkville’s streets become hallways of your past. For the Canadian film industry, it really is old home week. The parties vary, most of them are very fun but they become a blur.

It's rare to not see a movie you're in before its debut, but that's how it worked out with Daydream Nation. I was excited and nervous that I was going to see the film for the first time with an audience. I like doing interviews but I feel strange getting my picture taken and when walking the red carpet I never know what to do. “You’re too posed!” one man yells. “Pose harder!” another tells me. I stare ‘sexily’ at one and smile crazily at another.

My brother, Michael, was my date. When the lights dimmed and the movie started, he took my hand. "Relax. It's going to be great."

And it was.

Watching myself on screen is always a removed experience. I feel like I’m looking at someone else who I only vaguely recognize. In this movie, I was someone I vaguely recognized with horrible hair. I felt proud and touched when people in the audience laughed at my very well written scenes with Kat Dennings.

At the after party, Kat and I find each other in a sea of people and run off the bathroom. We sit on the floor in front of a huge mirror, lit only by dim candle light and apply her make-up.

“What’d you think?” I ask her.

“I really like it,” she told me.

She should. This is her movie and she’s phenomenal in it. After we freshen our lipstick, we walk upstairs and separate, lost in enjoying the night.

The Canadian film industry is really hard, and to have ten days where it’s appreciated, where people get the attention they deserve, is as joyful as it is moving. This year, we all feel like celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment