Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lighten Up



Time was of no consequence and I just hoped that eternity would start now. The person I used to be had suddenly ceased to exist. I was melting and being remodeled into nothing but the hand he was just holding right now.

...

I think I'm you and he thinks he's me.

Something changed and I couldn't pinpoint when.

"And as much as I want to own you, I know I don't."

I gave him a book of these words and I wondered if he tried to read it like brail, fingers first. If he got lost in all the things I am that remain unseen. What medicine do you give the blind? I knew he was tired and all I wanted was for him to reach for me.

"Do you remember when I loved you before?"

"Vaguely."

"You had red hair."

"I always knew I was meant to have red hair." I had spent months speaking to him all alone.

I didn't know when or why, but things changed. There were two ways to look at it. In one exact and precise moment, everything had shifted and I was too dumb to notice. Or, the abstract wind in which we lived blew left instead of right, and suddenly, we were just fine.

I was always good at finding something beautiful in the ordinary.

Now, I saw the exquisite folded in the extraordinary.


No comments:

Post a Comment