Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Summer I Lost My Mind - Personal Essay Excerpt Four



While walking from Evan's 20th birthday, obliterated, I ran into my brother at a convenience store.

"MIKEE!" I yelled.

"Holy shit," he said to his friends. I walked closer to him. "Kate, why are you shoeless?"

"You win some you lose some. Walk me home," I told him.

"No shit, Sherlock."

He told me if I didn't put my shoes on that he'd carry me home. I finally gave in. We passed some girls Michael's age on the way home who I was friends with on Facebook.

"BE CAREFUL!" I screeched at them.

What did I mean, be careful? Be careful or you'll end up like me, a crazy, drunken lunatic who had her shit together in high school and then lost it in the real world?

"Go to bed," Mike told me as he dropped me off on the corner of our street.

"Enough outta you!"

I walked down my street. I saw Rebecca, a girl who I had gone to high school with that I’d always liked but had never really known. She seemed cool; hipster and self destructive. She had long blonde hair in high school and since shaved one side off and wore printed tops with leggings. She was sitting on the curb outside a local bar, O'Malleys, known for an infamous coke ring, a clientele of local welfare recipients and not carding seventeen year olds.

When dawn broke, I realized that every gathering has its moment. You, and whoever else is attending, will repeat themselves one too many times. You'll run out of dope or liquor and quite suddenly realize that’s all you ever had in common.

I was permanently stuck in the moment when you realize that the party is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment