Monday, August 23, 2010

Forever - Personal Essay Excerpt Two

Then I realized that there are few universal milestones in life; graduating high school, going to university, having a kid. Getting married is one of them. And so, most people, who aren’t looking deeply, do look at you differently as a married woman because you’ve crossed another hurdle. You’ve given up a little of who you were to become who you’ll be. You’ve taken the step towards what’s next. In most people’s opinions, getting married is remarkable and life-changing.

The irony being that my milestones, the moment’s that have changed my life, don’t happen in big, sweeping events. Change in me happens slowly. At a diner at 4 a.m. I’ll realize that something has taken place, that it’s over now, and that for better or for worse, I’m finally not who I was before.



No comments:

Post a Comment